Friday, October 21, 2011

Have yourself a homemade little christmas...

So, This morning I woke up to "Jingle Bells" in my head, and I knew that I'd be in a Christmas-y mood all day =) . I seem to always end up with a big bunch of bills to pay going into the holidays, which leave me strapped for spending greens. So, I decided that I would go through all of my craft good and resources around the farm and start making plans for a natural homemade Christmas. In my front yard I have a huge Ponderosa pine, with gorgeous long needle that will make for elegant swags and garlands. Under the tree, I gathered up a large bag of cones for holiday crafts. I am going to gimp around the farm gathering up other tree's cones, we have plenty of pines and firs! Then I noticed how lovely the wild rose bushes that grow along side the pastures were with their dark twisting branches and red hips. I am going to make lovely door wreaths from the roses. Near by are wild apple trees that I am going to go gather apples from to make apple butter and jellies. I know where there are some oaks and will be collecting acorns for gilding or leaving natural to add to the tree, swags, wreathes, banners and to add to gift toppers! I have a huge bag of rice, so I'll make microwavable/freezable therapy bags and warming inserts for mittens and boots. I have plenty of flour and cornmeal and sugar, with a bit of careful expenditure, I'll be able to make many breads and cookies for gift baskets. I'm also thinking of trying my hand at toffee!  Spiced and sugared peanuts are on the list too. I have a tiny great niece and a feisty great nephew to come up with a bit of fun for. Another nephew and his fiance, my dad, my sis and bro, my ma and pa in law and  a bunch more! So I'll be making a bunch of Gimpy Christmas Fairy  Goodie Baskets, full of all sorts of wild creations. In a weird sort of way, I enjoy having to get creative with the materials at hand, it forces me to look outside the box, to stretch my creative wings and try new things. Sure I'd like pots of money, but I am also happy with the bursts of creativity that I get when I have to really dive into the creative flow.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Annika :)

    I would LOVE to read your blog but cannot with the red font :(

    I hope that you are having a great day!

    Sharon (Calicogirl on MJF)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Annika :)

    I am right there with you on the handmade Christmas, I think it really means more too.

    How wonderful to have Ponderosa Pines where you are. Usually in November my husband and I drive to the mountains and pick up the pine cones to use for fire starters and to decorate and craft with. You can make wreaths with the wild rose hips, that would be beautiful.

    I think handmade gift ideas for children are the hardest! Maybe for your niece you could make some felt play food? This etsy site has so many cute felt foods: http://www.etsy.com/shop/milkfly?ref=seller_info

    I am looking at all of my craft supplies to see what I can make too in addition to decorating naturally (which makes for a fun road trip :))

    Have a great day Annika!

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Halloween Sharon! I'm glad to have feed back on my page =) I've been sorting through all of my clutter and giving each item that I'm sending off to the thrift shops a good look over to consider if I could use it in some project. Repurposing and upcycling rocks!

    I'm trying to teach myself to not want more than I really need. I am a die hard antique shop, estate sale, rummage sale, thrift shop and craft fair girl, so this is an important lesson for me =P

    The rose hip wreath would just be so country simple!

    I hope that you enjoy your pine cone gathering with your hubby! Pack a nice picnic and enjoy yourselves!

    And thank you for the etsy link!

    Have a great day!
    Annika

    ReplyDelete