Sunday, October 30, 2011

Goats, weddings and other fun!

It's been a week! Everyone has been some kind of sick but me, and I'm just arthritic, slow and gimpy =P
Since my sweetie is diabetic, I've been venturing into nut flours and Splenda baking and cooking. Stevia is really bitter tasting to me, I know, weird,  right?  I haven't had any kind of luck using agave syrup in baking, so I'm stumped, for now at least.  I'm having the best luck with almond flour. I've made yummy waffles and snickerdoodles so far, and am looking forward to pumpkin cheesecake!

Then, I've been farmsitting since Thursday, so far an elderly cat has taken sick and wouldn't eat, a buck got his head caught in an electric mesh fence and ruined the thing, the herd of goats my landlady's keeps, utterly destroyed a cattle panel gate while we were trying to roll out a huge round bale of hay, and I was body slammed by a penned goat buck when he tried to push past me to escape. BUT , I'm a stubborn and feisty old bird and I grabbed him under the chin and pushed back! Aside from a bunch of bruises, I won.

The highlight of my weekend has been the wedding of a beloved friend to her best friend and true love, the inclusion of her two young children in the ceremony made them a family. It was beautiful and sweet, though I don't usually tear up at weddings, I sure did at this one!

Then I went up to the barn to check on the animals when I got back from the wedding and found a newly hatched nest of baby chicks and a very protected mama hen! Something about the chirping of baby chicks just turns me to marshmallow inside =) I had to really struggle not to scoop up a soft little fluff ball and snuggle it against my cheek!


Ive been going through all of my junk in storage and that I have cluttering up my house, and am proud of myself for getting so much of it bagged up and ready for the thrift shop. Also, I've been trying to follow the rule of re-cycle, re-use, re-purpose and re-make and separating out clothing and other things to use again. I'm finding the creative re-visioning a lot of fun and it really appeals to my thrifty earth wise side.

So, now it's Sunday evening , it's rainy and cold out and I'm happily puttering around on my laptop and feeling drowzy from the pain meds. for my aching knee.  My pumpkin is carved, my spooky bats are hung in the windows and I'm ready for Halloween.  So, Happy Halloween ...BOO!!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment