Monday, November 7, 2011

Winter's Kiss

Frosted rosehips by anataman on flickr

















 This morning,  I woke to two of my three indoor cats cuddled around me purring loudly.  If the house had been warmer they would have been having a hissy fit being that close to one another, but all turf wars are off when the cold weather starts setting in. The light was so pale coming through the blinds that at first I thought that it had snowed, but instead it was the most velvety luxurious frost I've seen in a long time. Since the land lords don't want to afford heat for the animals water containers, I was out leaning on a cane with one hand and practicing my wild Irish chick impersonation with the other one, bashing holes in the ice for the farm animals to drink. Cory, a none too bright but enthusiastic goat buck, kept attempting to jump up and bleat loudly in my face, while I was hacking at the ice. So it was a good time all 'round.

I love all that nature has to to give and the world remains the most beautiful work of art ever. When I have a good camera again, I'll be posting my own photos! The wretched cold is still with me, but I really started in today on the kitchen today...for a two person household, I have a LOT of kitchen ware and spares! So I've been going through it all, and weeding out what I don't need..I'm loving the space and now theres room for NEW  kitchen gadgetry that I don't need =P

My kitchen is a an L shape with a pro range and cabinets on an island in the centre. I'm really disenchanted with the sterile white ceiling, window frames and icky melamine counter tops . There is a big ugly florescent light that I never use that I want to take out too. The cabinets are low-end faux wood things and I can't afford to replace them all so I'm going to paint the hideous things!I'm dying to paint the whole thing something warm and vibrant and now I'm just waiting for Drew to agree to a colour scheme!

I've been recipe hunting this afternoon for choice tid-bits to add to my gift baskets and bags for Christmas and this recipe is a keeper! So gorgeous and delicious sounding!

Ginger-Coconut-Dark Chocolate Bark

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 10 minutes
This ginger-coconut-dark chocolate bark is bitter, spicy, and sweet so a little goes a long way. Along with a cup of tea or coffee, it makes the perfect mid afternoon pick-me-up or evening treat. This bark can be kept refrigerated for several weeks.
Unsweetened shaved coconut and candied ginger can often be found in bulk bins in the natural foods section of your grocery store. Shredded coconut can be substituted for shaved, but it’s softer and doesn’t have the same “crunch” that shaved coconut provides.

Ingredients

  • 1 bag (6 ounces) good quality Bittersweet Baking Chips (I used Scharffen Berger 70%)
  • 1/4 cup Candied Ginger, chopped
  • 1/4 cup Unsweetened Shaved Coconut
  • 2 ounces Macadamia Nuts, chopped

Preparation

  1. Line a sheet pan with either a a silpat or a 9×11 piece of parchment paper sprayed lightly with cooking spray.
  2. Create a double boiler by setting a bowl over a small pot of simmering water. Add the chocolate to the bowl and stir until fully melted.
  3. Working quickly, spread the chocolate in a 1/4-inch layer over the prepared baking pan. Scatter the ginger, coconut, and macadamia nuts evenly over the chocolate – be careful not to leave any big gaps!
  4. Transfer the baking sheet to the fridge for 1 hour to allow the chocolate to set. Once the chocolate is firm, use your hands or a sharp knife to break the bark into roughly shaped pieces.

Doesn't this sound nummy??? I will be adding dried fruit or nuts or whatever to the basic recipe, but it just sounds scrumptious!!  http://healthy-delicious.com/  has so many incredible recipes!

Drew is working late on projects, and will catch his own dinner out, so I'm just going to have more jasmine tea  with honey for my throat and goof off on til he gets home , I just don't feel up to dinner tonight with this stupid cold   =P

'til tomorrow
Ta!

Annika






3 comments:

  1. Annika, this was my first visit to your blog. Because I was new I took some time to browse through your earlier posts. I love what I found. You've created a warm and welcoming spot for your readers to visit and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, that recipe does look good! Looks very Christmasy :)

    Jazz xo
    cupcakesnsweets.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary ~ thanks so much for the visit and the sweet words!

    Jazz~ doesn't it? I'll be making 22 batches of it for family and friends, I hope that I can make it faster than I can snack on it! =P

    Have a fun autumn weekend! It's cold and windy with light snow in the forecast here, so I'm all set for some marathon diy Christmas gift making =)

    Annika

    ReplyDelete